How to revert to Postfix 2.5.5 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 12 20:29:03 PST 2012

On Nov 12, 2012, at 19:00, Phillip Koebbe wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2012, at 2:17 PM, Christopher Rasch wrote:
>
>> I made the change you suggested.  Now, I'm getting a different error (see below).  Macports still appears to be looking for the openssl 1.0.x macport.

> I don't know if this will work in your situation, but in the past I've let MacPorts install the newer version of a port and then deactivated it and activated the older version that I need for whatever older port I'm trying to install.

Yes that would work. But openssl would still appear as outdated in the output of "port outdated", though (somewhat confusingly) trying to update it will do nothing—until Markus updates the port to a newer version, at which point trying to update it would do so.

Or you could use the -n switch to tell MacPorts not to upgrade any dependencies.

sudo port -n install +ldap +sasl +tls

You may first want to verify with the -y (dry run) flag that there are no other dependencies that you want to upgrade first:

sudo port -y install +ldap +sasl +tls

You appear to have your old private copy of postfix in src/postfix. The best idea of all might be instead to set up your own private ports tree, with the proper category directories, e.g. ~/src/dports/mail/postfix. Then you can add ~/src/dports to your sources.conf. If you list it first, before the regular MacPorts tree, any portfiles you have in it should take precedence over official MacPorts versions. Thus if you have your own private ~/src/dports/devel/openssl @0.9.8o_0, MacPorts' openssl @1.0.1c_0 will never be seen. Usually this is a bad idea because you won't receive possibly important updates from us, but if you know what you're doing this strategy can help you manage your custom ports.