Is XInclude in Macports XML catalogs?

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Thu Nov 29 14:00:25 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 28, 2012, at 14:34, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>>
>>> I can't seem to find a port that has XInclude to add natively (by port
>>> command) to my system's XML Catalog. Is there one or do I have to add
>>> it to the XML catalog by hand?
>>
>> What is XInclude?
>>
>> I did find /opt/local/include/libxml2/libxml/xinclude.h on my drive which is installed by the libxml2 port but I guess that's not what you mean.
>>

> XInclude is a schema that allows for complete document inclusions:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/
>
> Most of these schemas are either accessible on-line or installed on a
> system and uses an XML catalog to resolve URIs and local paths. In
> MacPorts, this catalog is in /opt/local/etc/xml
>
> Usually these schemas are installed as a dependency or bundled as part
> of a port that needs them. For example if you intall GTK2 and Glade it
> will include an XML schema that  is installed in /opt/local/share/xml
> and registers itself in the catalog mentioned above.
>
> I would have though that the Docbook 5 XML port would bundle XInclude
> but it doesn't so I was wondering if it was in a separate port. As you
> stated above, it seems that libxml2 and xsltproc somehow have XInclude
> embedded and I ultimately solved my problem by adding the --xinclude
> switch to the xsltproc command line. But I am curious as to why there
> is no XInclude schema or RelaxNG equivalent installed or installable
> via MacPorts.
>
> Hope that answers the question.
>
> --
> Alejandro Imass

I have some new information to this respect. As I dug further into
this I found the the Docbook 5 Macport bundles docbookxi.rnc which
adds XInclude support to the Docbook 5 bundled in the port. But IMHO
it should also include the XInclude schema and I wonder if this
problem comes from the FreeBSD port. The problem I see with not
bundling XIndlude as well is that whilst xsltproc (libxml2) supports
XInclude by means of the --xinclude switch I am not sure if all then
toolchains will work off-line without and explicit XSD and/or RCN file
and catalog entry for XInclude.

I will look further into this and contact the maintainers or file a
bug if need be.

--
Alejandro Imass