SyCoCa - Fixing broken KDE apps

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Sun Oct 7 22:47:27 PDT 2012

Hello,

As a follow-up to this discussion, I looked a little bit at possibilities of using a launchd job to try to bypass the fact that kbuildsycoca is not run as it should on mac. A solution I found (attached) is to create a job which monitors changes on ${prefix}/bin, so that the kde cache would be refreshed each time a port providing executables is installed/uninstalled.

The idea I had would be:
1. Add this file at installation of the port kdelibs4, in which the ${prefix} and applications_dir variables could be taken care of.
2. Add an instruction to the user that he should run the command
    launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.kdecache.plist
   As there is already a note concerning the job for dbus, it would just be a matter of editing it.

I am aware that this approach does not necessarily solve the issues with multiple users, but it would at least cover the case of single users. Of course, if there are ideas or suggestions to improve this, I am fully open to them.

Cheers,

Nicolas