Why does Macports reinstall already available software?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 06:29:55 PDT 2012

Hi,

When you say you already have some packages installed, do you mean via
MacPorts, or via some other method external to MacPorts ?

If external, then what you are seeing is normal expected behaviour.
MacPorts does not use external third party libraries, and will install
all the dependencies it needs for a given package itself. For more
details on why, see

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#syslibs

Chris