port selfupdate incredibly slow

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:59:59 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> DEBUG: /usr/bin/tar -C <home>/build/intermediate/macports/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp
>
>  -xf <home>/build/intermediate/macports/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar
>

>   This last line hangs for 25 seconds. Then I get:
>
> That has nothing to do with the network; it's unpacking the downloaded
port archive to local disk.  You might want to check whether you're running
short on disk space or have a lot of other disk I/O going on at the time.

(I've found stuff like that to be intolerably slow on my big iMac of late,
having run almost exclusively on an Air for the past year... SSDs have
spoiled me rotten.)

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net