port selfupdate incredibly slow

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 16:29:33 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

>     You're right. It's writing an awful lot of data. Why is that? 25
> seconds times an average of 10MB/s (which is a conservative estimate)...
> it's writing out around 250MB.

I haven't updated this week yet, but:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  54497280 Oct 10 21:31
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar

is what it's unpacking.  If your question is why it's that large, I cannot
answer but I'm not very surprised by it.  (Note that this is not
compressed.)

And you seem to have gotten stuck on this whole network red herring again,
because if your local hard drive only does 10MB/s then you have far worse
problems than MacPorts.  This is not doing ANY network I/O unless you (and
yes, I mean you, not Apple and certainly not MacPorts) replaced your local
hard drive with NAS; it is unpacking a (just downloaded) local file to the
local disk, indeed to the very same directory.

(The command it's running is called "tar"; run "man tar" to see what it
does.  While it has some ability to use the network, the command you cited
is not using an rmt filespec.)

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net