port selfupdate incredibly slow

cowwoc cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org
Mon Oct 15 19:34:07 PDT 2012

     My system isn't overloaded. It's running inside a VM. I'm running a
script inside an automated build system. The faster the build, the
better. Twenty five seconds might seem short to you, but in the world of
automated builds every second matters.

     As I mentioned before, there is an easy fix. Why not implement it?
It could be as simple as this:

 1. Every time "port selfupdate" is run, store a timestamp of the
    current time ("touch lastupdated.marker")
 2. The next time "port selfupdate" is run, compare the last-modified
    time of the tar file against the timestamp in the marker file. If
    the tar file is older, there is no need to update; otherwise, unpack
    the tar file.

     What do you think?

Thanks,
Gili