I need consultation on running WINE on the Mac

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Fri Oct 19 15:01:49 PDT 2012

On Oct 16, 2012, at 7:00 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

>> I know this is not a MacPorts issue, so please direct this to somewhere that makes sense.....
>>
>> Basically, I'm a total newbee when it comes to RAW WINE. I've historically used Codeweavers Crossover which is Wine 1.4.1
>> Which is packaged to run quite nicely under Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
>>
>> I play LOTRO, which just did a major upgrade, and therefore no longer runs under 1.4.1
>>
>> WINEhq has a fix which requires WINE 1.1.15.
>> However, the folks there are al LINUX types.
>>
>> SO..... I just installed MacPorts wine-dev 1.5.15 and now I need to do two things. (That I know of.)
>> 1- Find out how to apply the patch (which I believe is a classic diff file)-- I have no idea how badly that will break the MacPorts installation.
>
> I've just applied it to the wine-crossover port. Seems to work fine.
>
>> 2- Find out how to configure "raw WINE"  on the mac. In particular how to point it to the existing Crossover WINE Bottles.
>>
>> Pointers to appropriate OSX oriented instructions are desired.
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> After installing wine-crossover, all you should need to run is (all one
> line, ignore any line breaks inserted by email software):
>
> WINEPREFIX="/Users/<you>/Library/Application
> Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Lord of the Rings Online" wine
> ~/Library/Application\ Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\
> Online/drive_c/Program\ Files/PyLotRO/pylotro.exe

I've been side-tracked a bit.
On top of everything else I just signed an agreement of sale and will be moving in 2 weeks. ...

Ok. I have the wine-crossover port and Xquartz installed...  It crashes just as the normal CrossOver does.
So I assume that the normal "port install" installs an unpatched version.

So, how do I apply the patch?

As best I can tell, there is no "source" tree left around after the install, only the tar file.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at mac.com