port selfupdate incredibly slow

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 21 01:56:04 PDT 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 21:58, Davor Cubranic <cubranic at stat.ubc.ca> wrote:

> What he means is that you can use Subversion as an alternative distribution system to downloading the ports.tar file. That way you get roughly the behaviour you asked for, since "svn update" will do nothing if you locally have the most recent version of the master.

Well, it won't do "nothing"... it will scan the local ports working copy and compare it with what's available on the server. The end result is that no files will be changed and nothing significant will have to be downloaded, but it will still take up to several minutes of disk I/O to determine that, depending on the speed of your disk. Using Subversion 1.7 or later should decrease the amount of I/O needed and thus decrease the time needed.