port selfupdate incredibly slow

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Oct 21 11:48:26 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:06:42AM -0700, cowwoc wrote:
> I implemented the timestamp approach in my build script (as a
> workaround) and it works great. Total I/O time: 10ms.

I don't think this is a very common usage of selfupdate. Most users only
run selfupdate once in a while given the current rate of commits in
MacPorts _will_ see at least one change.

Consider writing a patch if you want this. I don't see myself doing
this, because the benefit to the average user is probably zero and the
developers are all using subversion anyway.

--
Clemens Lang