Newb

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 23 21:53:29 PDT 2012

On Oct 23, 2012, at 21:29, Michael wrote:

> Alright, so now that I've seen two threads on wine and crossover, what is the current best way to run a Microsoft Windows based video editor on a MacBook Pro?

As Bradley said, Bootcamp is an option. It offers the best compatibility, but requires you to reboot to Windows when you want to use it. It also requires you to buy a copy of Windows and dedicate a partition of your internal HD or SSD to it.

Virtualization is another option. It also requires purchasing a copy of Windows, but can run side-by-side with OS X, and can be installed in a virtual disk which need only be as big as its contents. Virtual Box is a free virtualization platform, available in MacPorts as the "virtualbox" port. Other popular virtualization systems that run on OSX, but that cost money, are VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop. I've used VMware for years; a friend of mine swears by Parallels.

And finally there's Wine. In MacPorts we offer the "wine", "wine-devel" and "wine-crossover" ports with different versions of the software. Wine is free, but compatibility can be hit and miss.