mcrypt and PHP

G R Lewis groblewis at mac.com
Mon Sep 3 22:36:37 PDT 2012

Current versions of:
Mac OS: 10.7.4
PHP: 5.3.10 (pretty sure it came with the OS)
phpMyAdmin: 3.5.0

The front page of phpMyAdmin has a warning in red:
The mcrypt extension is missing. Please check your PHP configuration.

I've seen some instructions that involve (I think) recompiling PHP with the extension but I'm hoping that's not necessary.