GDB is not usable

Richard Stanton stanton at haas.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 7 08:35:49 PDT 2012

I'm not sure if this is related to gdb, gcc, or upgrading to Mountain Lion a month ago (I haven't used gdb for a while), but currently I can't use gdb on my system. Here's an example where I try to debug one fairly simple program compiled using mp-gcc47.

First, to verify that the program actually runs:
mortgage:miscprog stanton$ amput 10
n =  10,  v =       4.0615855, time =  0.000 seconds

Now to debug:
mortgage:miscprog stanton$ ggdb amput
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin12.1.0".
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x24
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x2a
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x28
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x26
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x2b
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x24
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x2a
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x28
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x26
BFD: unable to read unknown load command 0x2b
Reading symbols from /Users/stanton/miscprog/amput...Segmentation fault: 11
mortgage:miscprog stanton$

I've tried using multiple other versions of gcc, and also tried gdb 7.2 instead. None of this had any effect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton