Qt4 as both framework and library

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:19:09 PDT 2012

On 20/09/2012, at 7:48 AM, Frank Schima wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Sep 19, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> Appreciate all the effort you have and continue to put into making Qt as painless as possible!
>>
>> Thanks! And, that's the goal: as painless as possible.  qt4-mac is a BIG
>> compile, so I try hard to avoid requiring a recompile any more often
>> than necessary.  We've been disabling variants and moving them to "easy
>> to install" ports, with the eventual goal to get qt4-mac down to just
>> variants for +examples, +demos, +debug, and +universal.  That's still a
>> ways off, but hopefully it'll happen -- doing this reduces the compile
>> complexity of qt4-mac, while still allowing useful features via "easy to
>> install" ports that depend on qt4-mac.
>
> +1 thanks!
>
> Ideally actually would be to move the +examples and +demos variants into sub-ports - qt4-mac-examples and qt4-mac-demos.

+1 again.  They take quite a while to compile and build.

I would also suggest "compiling" the Qt documentation in a separate sub-port.

It is quite voluminous and has its own "language" and pre-processor.  It is nice
to have all the doco at file:///opt/local/share/doc/qt4/html/index.html but it is also
available on the Web and some developers save time and space by not compiling
and building a local copy by default.

Cheers, Ian W.