How to get mkvtoolnix to work?

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Mon Sep 24 05:17:09 PDT 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 4:20 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2012, at 03:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>>> Why don't we revert the port back to version 5.0.1 which was working?
>>> I don't see much use in leaving the port in a broken state.
>>
>> I would vote for that as well.
>
> I would love to fix it so that we can build the current version; I don't really want us to be stuck on 5.0.1 forever.
>
> They are distributing a precompiled binary of the latest version for Mac, which even includes a GUI. I'd love to figure out how they're building that, so that we can replicate it in the port.

They are building boost themselves, and building it using the same compiler (gcc46+) they use for building mkvtoolnix and any other deps.  We can only build boost using clang, which causes the C++ runtime compatibilities reported in whatever the ticket number is.  Until someone does the second half of Jeremy's libstdc++ unification to get ABI compatibility with /usr/lib for all compilers we're stuck.  Creating compiler-specific subports for boost is extremely non-trivial and the boost maintainer has already tried and given up I believe.

Newer clang's add better C++11 support, has anyone tried installing a devel version of mp-clang and forcing mkvtoolnix to build with that?

Thanks,
Eric