Prebuilt alternatives

Kenneth Miller kennethadammiller at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 11:05:51 PDT 2012

Why does macports insist on using only local builds? I mean, this is a lot like gentoo, where you download and build the source every time. I'm sure that this has been suggested before, but it hasn't been implemented. I feel like this could be a distributed building process for everyone-why not have port check a server to see if something has been built before (in a similar environment) prior to trying to build locally? Only download the source and build it if it hasn't already been done. I understand that different users means different environments which means potential headache in the case that a build that worked for one person may not work for another, but in this case one could at least try to just check for common major differences. For instance, Mountain Lion vs Leopard and so on.