MacPorts and Brew

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Apr 1 12:19:38 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 11:16:08AM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> I'm surprised MacPorts didn't complain about /usr/local. Maybe you
> haven't tried to install anything yet?

MacPorts doesn't check for Homebrew. Some build might fail in strange
ways without the cause being obvious, though. If you're going to file a
bug report that contains the string "/usr/local" note that you will be
told to move /usr/local aside. It is officially unsupported to have
stuff in /usr/local while using MacPorts, see
  http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal.

That doesn't mean it can't be done, but you should take care.

--
Clemens Lang