Python pip issue

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Apr 2 22:18:12 PDT 2013

In article <77D0858C-1C68-4628-A4F4-5DB5C7B0F86E at alum.mit.edu>,
 "Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E." <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.
> > <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I have pip-2.6 installed, and I have used port select to make sure that
> > macport python26 is active.  If I then do:
> >
> > This only works as expected if /opt/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in your
> > $PATH; you might want to doublecheck that.
> Thanks.  I just checked and it is.

Also make sure you don't have a permissions problem.  If you did a "sudo
pip install", the created directories and files may not be world
readable and executable.   Check and, if necessary, alter the
permissions of the packages you installed:

    sudo bash
    cd /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6
    cd ./ib/python2.6/site-packages/
    ls -ltr

Directories should be something like:
    drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel    ...

Files:
    -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    ...

If not:
    chmod -R o+rX ...

replacing ... with the directory and file names

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org