github source

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 06:49:17 PDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 15:15, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Given that git mirrors already exist:
>    http://www.macosforge.org/post/git-mirrors/
> it is a trivial task to create a mirror on github as well.

Maybe, but what's the point in making yet another copy? Github may have a nice interface, but IMHO you could just as well set up a good GUI git client like SourceTree to one of the existing mirrors, no?

> basis and hope that it will eventually be applied. While git cannot
> solve bad project management per se, the need to resubmit patches
> would basically vanish with git. In most cases git would do the right
> thing with an old patch automatically.)

In my experience that still requires a regular git fetch origin + git rebase origin + git format-patch origin by the patch maintainer, because behind the scenes git still uses diff and patch (from what I know), and those are not omnipotent. I've already stumbled across that at least twice with a set of rather simple patches to FFmpeg that I had to complete manually (note that maybe I'd have had to do the same had I rebased more often!)

R.