force doesn't force all the way?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:19:11 PDT 2013

Hello again.

When I changed my variants.conf file to be "+universal" for all ports,
then ran this:

$ sudo port upgrade --force installed

I am presented with the addendum, which leaves me wondering...is this
expected? Didn't I "already" force?
Thanks!
-roger-

Addendum:
Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Cleaning tiff
--->  Uninstalling tiff @4.0.3_1+universal
--->  Cleaning tiff
--->  Computing dependencies for tiff
--->  Fetching distfiles for tiff
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for tiff
--->  Extracting tiff
--->  Configuring tiff
--->  Building tiff
--->  Staging tiff into destroot
--->  Installing tiff @4.0.3_1+universal
--->  Activating tiff @4.0.3_1+universal
Error: org.macports.activate for port tiff returned: Image error:
/opt/rdp_project_local/bin/tiffgt already exists and does not belong
to a registered port.  Unable to activate port tiff. Use 'port -f
activate tiff' to force the activation.
Please see the log file for port tiff for details:
    /opt/rdp_project_local/var/macports/logs/_opt_rdp_project_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_tiff/tiff/main.log
--->  Computing dependencies for lcms2
--->  Dependencies to be installed: tiff
--->  Activating tiff @4.0.3_1+universal
Error: org.macports.activate for port tiff returned: Image error:
/opt/rdp_project_local/bin/tiffgt already exists and does not belong
to a registered port.  Unable to activate port tiff. Use 'port -f
activate tiff' to force the activation.
Error: Failed to install tiff
Please see the log file for port tiff for details:
    /opt/rdp_project_local/var/macports/logs/_opt_rdp_project_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_tiff/tiff/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: tiff
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets