MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Apr 22 10:38:24 PDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 10:16 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see however why macports-clang-3.3 isn't accepted; I have it installed?

None of the compiler precedence lists contains macports-clang-3.3. If you'd like, you can view the current lists yourself:

2.1.3 release:
https://trac.macports.org/browser/tags/release_2_1_3/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl#L445

current trunk (r104381):
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl?rev=104381#L443

> Well, that's true of course - but in this particular case I've noticed so many issues with clang 1.7 (the one I replaced) that I don't expect anything but gain.

It would be great if you could file Trac tickets for issues with older compilers, so that the port maintainers can selectively blacklist them. (Alternatively, they could get the issue fixed, if they're feeling particularly enterprising.)

> Sure, but apart from that a user can have good reasons to use a compiler (and/or options) of choice, no?

As Craig said, ports for which compiler selection makes a material difference should offer variants for it.

> I'm using gcc-mp-4.7 whenever I can ever since, not regretting it a bit.

Be aware that building a MacPorts-provided GCC often results in linkage to libgcc. However, unless the port explicitly accounts for this (in a variant, perhaps), it will not have a library dependency on the GCC port, and MacPorts will not stop you from inadvertently uninstalling the GCC port at a later time. (Clemens did fix this in trunk a while ago.)

vq