MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 14:02:14 PDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 17:57, Ned Deily wrote:

>> Out of curiosity: is gcc-4.2 the last compiler for which Apple made it
>> possible to build it on systems where you cannot obtain the binaries directly
>> from Apple? If so, are there any plans to provide ports of those compilers
>> (supposing there's any interest to that ... introducing features like ARC
>> which aren't supported by the runtime isn't particularly useful ...)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here.  I believe Apple
> decided to stop using gcc for its build systems for a couple of reasons:

I didn't ask about the last gcc compiler! :)

I saw that Apple's clang is at 4.7 or thereabouts. I guess (naively?) it'd be nice to have access to the latest Apple compiler(s) even if Apple don't support (= provide) it for older OSes. IIRC I managed with a gcc 4 (probably 4.0) while still hanging on to 10.4, but gave up on my more recent attempts (too many dependencies to build).