difficulty updating libiconv

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Apr 24 05:53:29 PDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:07 PM, Sterling Smith wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:56PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>>> When you wrote /opt/local, did you mean /usr/local? If so, please get rid of it. Having software installed in /usr/local will interfere with MacPorts.
>>
>> I'm in between two authorities here. The people who maintain R expect that some of their tools will reside in usr/local/. I need R more than I need Macports, so I'm not going to trash usr/local/.
>>
> Have you tried port install R?  (There also appear to be R-app and R-framework ports...)

I have not. The "standard R" install on the Mac uses a Framework. (I do not know if that is compatible with MacPorts installation practices.) Simply knowing that an R port exists would not be  sufficient either. I would need to know what version and my recent experience with libiconv has shown my significant limitations in being able to access such information. I have been led to understand that MacPorts does not maintain an up-to-date version, so am not likely to go that route.

--
David.