Problem with gcc4.7 and call_once

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 9 13:12:46 PDT 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 15:06, "Brian D. McGrew" <brian at visionpro.com> wrote:

> Well I had to port install gcc48 to build gcc-4.8.1 from source.  Using
> /usrŠgcc didn't get me there.  So installing port gcc48, building
> gcc-4.8.1 from source in ~ and installing over the top of port installed
> gcc worked (backing up /opt/local of course).  Circular for sure, but
> effective.

And completely impossible to implement in that fashion in MacPorts. A port cannot depend on itself.

If gcc48 does not build correctly except when built with gcc48, then I call that a bug in gcc48 that the developers of gcc need to fix, if they want anybody to be able to use gcc48.

/usr/bin/gcc is not a compiler, by the way; it's a symlink to a compiler, and which compiler it's a symlink to varies by Xcode version, so it's more useful to talk about the actual compiler. These days, we usually compile with Xcode's clang. The version of clang varies by Xcode version too…