`port selfupdate; port upgrade outdated' fails

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 14 07:18:24 PDT 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:07:11 +0200, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM, j. van den hoff
> <veedeehjay at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> --->  Cleaning apr-util
>> Error: arpack: Variant openmpi conflicts with gcc43
>> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>     http://guide.macports.org/#**project.tickets<http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>>
>> on a second machine essentially the same happens but a conflict with
>> gcc47
>> is stated instead of with gcc43. any ideas?
>>

> The openmpi variant used to incorrectly allow that, but openmpi is
> itself a
> (wrapper around a) compiler so you must either consistently use it
> everywhere or risk odd build issues due to conflicting C++ runtime
> support
> libraries and such. You must determine which compiler to use yourself in
> this case; it's not something ports can do for you --- although probably
> manually deactivating the non-openmpi compiler via "port upgrade arpack
> +openmpi -gcc43" or etc. is probably the "right" choice in many cases.

indeed, that did the trick (it went through with the warning

Warning: Skipping upgrade since openmpi 1.7.2_0 >= openmpi 1.7.2_0, even
though installed variants "+gcc43" do not match "+gcc47". Use 'upgrade
--enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.

which I hope is innocuous?

after this upgrade of `arpack' `upgrade outdated' no longer chokes (have
not tried the second machine, yet).
thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate this.

otherwise, I admit not being able to follow you completely regarding
what's going on (I don't know anything about the affected packages arpack,
openmpi. they are are seemingly dependencies of some stuff I have
installed)).
but in any case everythings fine now.

thanks again.

j.