gcc and universal binaries

Samuel Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 15:07:21 PDT 2013

On 24 Aug 2013, at 16:24, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> what command line arguments do I use to get universal builds in my own projects?
>
> add all the -arch flags (e.g. "-arch x86_64 -arch i386 -arch ppc64 -arch ppc")

I'm guessing these instructions are for the apple gcc? Because doing this with the gcc / gfortran that I've been installing with macports gives

gcc-mp-4.8: error: unrecognized command line option '-arch'

and trying to compile C code on Mountain Lion with the apple gcc gives

llvm-gcc-4.2: error trying to exec '/usr/bin/../llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2': execvp: No such file or directory
llvm-gcc-4.2: error trying to exec '/usr/bin/../llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2': execvp: No such file or directory

So I'm concluding it is impossible to build universal fortran apps since the apple gcc doesn't come with gfortran. My only hope would be to build separate binaries for each architecture by:

1. access to old OS X machines (+ macports)
2. cross compile

I don't have access to old machines (and it would be incredibly inconvenient in any case), and I'm guessing macports doesn't supply cross compilers for older OS X architectures.