Trouble installing gdal using configure.args="--with-fgdb=/path/to/FileGDB_API"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 31 09:49:43 PDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 11:46, Hermann Peifer wrote:
> On 2013-08-31 18:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> It is not supported for end users to override portfile internals (like configure.args) at the command line. It is sometimes a useful diagnostic step when we're trying to figure out a problem, but it is not supposed to be an everyday activity for users. What you're doing wrong is that you're *setting* configure.args, *overriding* the dozens of configure.args the portfile already sets that make it function correctly. But there is no syntax for appending to (rather than overriding) configure.args (or any other internal portfile option) at the command line.
>
> Hmm. I thought about this, but I am actually not overriding anything, as far as I can see. The Portfile only defines configure.args-append and configure.args-delete, but not configure.args itself. So I thought I would be on the safe side.
>
> $ grep configure.args /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/gis/gdal/Portfile
> configure.args-append \
>    configure.args-delete   --without-lzma
>    configure.args-append   --with-lzma=${prefix}

Command line options override any MacPorts defaults or anything the portfile sets. So the portfile appends its configure args to the (empty) configure.args variable, and then finally at the command line, you override it with your value.

>> Is there a reason why we couldn't provide FileGDB support in the port properly, perhaps as a variant? If not, you could file a ticket in our issue tracker requesting that.
>>

> There might be some license issue with the FileGDB API SDK [1]. Common belief was that users have to download the binaries from ESRI website, accept their terms of use, etc. I'm not sure if this is still true.

We already have other ports in that situation, for example oracle-instantclient.