Trouble installing gdal using configure.args="--with-fgdb=/path/to/FileGDB_API"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 31 10:37:07 PDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 12:27, Hermann Peifer wrote:
> On 2013-08-31 18:49, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Command line options override any MacPorts defaults or anything the portfile sets. So the portfile appends its configure args to the (empty) configure.args variable, and then finally at the command line, you override it with your value.
>
> Thanks for the hints. I didn't know. Funny enough, the installation seemed to work fine, after I "fixed" the missing library issue through symlinks.
>
> So I better do not use configure.args on the command line. Is editing the Portfile a safe option? Probably not, I would assume :-(

You can edit the portfile, but if you are using rsync to sync your ports tree (which is the default) then any changes you make will be discarded next time you sync.

> I have a similar issue with libkml, where gdal expects version >= 1.3.0 (never released, only available from trunk). So I would have to install libkml under /opt/local rather than anywhere else which would require the configure argument --with-libkml=/path/to/libkml

If this is a problem with the libkml port as we have provided it in MacPorts, you should file a bug report so that we can fix this problem.