Why .gz files are not colored with `ls --color=auto`?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 10:55:00 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:

> On ubuntu, `ls --color=auto` colors .gz files. But it (the one from
> macports) does not .gz files on Mac. Does anybody know how to make it
> color .gz files as well on mac? Thanks.

Run `echo $LS_COLORS` on your Linux system. Arrange to have that same value
set on OS X. (Linux systems typically have a lot of strange stuff set up by
scripts in /etc/profile.d/*. I usually end up working around large chunks
of it, because the Linux distributions like to e.g. force their $PATH down
my throat at every opportunity. At one point I was setting $PATH in a zsh
precmd function, because that was the only way to stop (pre-"enterprise")
Red Hat and SuSE from overriding it.)