port selfupdate failing

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 05:12:42 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Just an update on this issue, in case someone ever faces the same problema again:

The whole problem was because 'selfupdate' would work only over rsync, and that was blocked in my network. So, what I did and worked fine for me was:

1) Following Ryan Schmidt's suggestion, I installed the MacPorts base from the website

2) Following Jeremy Lavergne's tip, I configured MacPorts to use svn, but just skipped the proxy configuration part (step 3 in http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN).

3) back to Ryan's message: Now, I could just do a 'sudo port sync' to update the ports, and all works fine since.

Big thanks to Jeremy and Ryan for all the help.

Gustavo Seabra.