python24

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Mon Dec 30 12:34:16 PST 2013

On Dec 30, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it safe to remove python24?  I did a
> port depend python24
>
> and get:
>
> py24-ctypes depends on python24
>
> py24-ipython depends on python24
>
> py24-markupsafe depends on python24
>
> py24-numpy depends on python24
>
> py24-readline depends on python24
>
> py24-roman depends on python24
>
> py24-setuptools depends on python24
>

> So I take it that only the py24-xxxx items depend on python24. Since I do not (knowlingly) use python 2.4*  I am wondering whether I can safely just nuke it all?

Yes, it is safe to remove them all. Macports now uses python27 by default and you can install the py27-* version of those ports if you need them. Personally I add +python27 to my variants.conf file to specifically give me that version of python. You might also check if you have any ports installed with a python24 variant with the following command:

port installed | grep python24

Then install those ports with the python27 variant instead.

Cheers!
Frank