How to add MacPorts_Framework to an app?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 20:06:04 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I have now installed XCode 4.6 and done the tutorials on Xcode 4.6,
Interface Builder and Objective C.  I also installed Pallet from source
code, keeping the source code (port -s -k install Pallet), and started
browsing through the source code.

To avoid doing any damage, I copied the source code to a directory
in my $HOME area.  I was able to set up this code as an Xcode 4.6
project and build it and run it.

It worked OK for searches, but not anything else.  I think my problem
is that MacPorts_Framework is not getting imported into the project.
I found a place in the Xcode project-editor where I could add a
framework, but the associated file browser did not show the
/opt/local area (Finder-type things usually don't).

MacPorts_Framework seems to be installed in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks.
There is also an MPPortProcess executable binary in there, which I suspect
may be needed later on.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Curiously, the Growl framework got into the project OK.  Should Pallet be
using that?  Growl seems to be a bit "suss", according to Google hits, esp.
the Wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growl_%28software%29

Finally, when Pallet quits, it always causes one of those Apple warning
boxes, where you are asked for your password if you wish to proceed.
Usually I get them when I have downloaded some non-Apple software
or code.  How can I find out what is causing the message?

I really do not want to give my password to Pallet until I know it is built
and working properly.  So I always hit Cancel.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Ian W.