Difficulties with Pallet

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:09:44 PST 2013

Hi guys,

As a first step in understanding Pallet, the current Macports GUI app in Macports,
I have been trying to build Pallet directly from source code, then study the program
flow.  Unfortunately I am not getting to first base …

The tools I am using are Macbook Pro (2011 vintage, 64-bit), OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)
and Xcode 4.6.  I understand that much water has flown under the bridge since
Pallet and its companion, Macports_Framework, were written, apparently in
and an OS X 10.5 environment and I do not know what version of Xcode, so
backward compatibility problems and deprecations are to be expected --- and
I have already found quite a few.  But I cannot really deal with these until I can
at least compile and build.

I have set up the Pallet source code in an Xcode 4.6 project, with Macports_
Framework as an external framework, located down in /opt/local/LibraryFrameworks
(ie. installed by Macports).  Pallet compiles OK, but with quite a few warnings (yellow
exclamation marks), most of which I have fixed.  But now I get three linker errors:

Ld /Users/ianw/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Pallet-fdnqyufmboxywicsjbymwaggarfr/Build/Products/Debug/Pallet.app/Contents/MacOS/Pallet normal i386
    cd /Users/ianw/Pallet/src
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -arch i386 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk -L/Users/ianw/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Pallet-fdnqyufmboxywicsjbymwaggarfr/Build/Products/Debug -F/Users/ianw/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Pallet-fdnqyufmboxywicsjbymwaggarfr/Build/Products/Debug -F/Users/ianw/Pallet/src/Growl-1.2.1-Framework -F/opt/local/Library/Frameworks -filelist /Users/ianw/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Pallet-fdnqyufmboxywicsjbymwaggarfr/Build/Intermediates/Pallet.build/Debug/Pallet.build/Objects-normal/i386/Pallet.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -fobjc-link-runtime -framework MacPorts -framework Cocoa -framework Growl -o /Users/ianw/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Pallet-fdnqyufmboxywicsjbymwaggarfr/Build/Products/Debug/Pallet.app/Contents/MacOS/Pallet

ld: warning: ignoring file /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/MacPorts.framework/MacPorts, file was built for unsupported file format ( 0xcf 0xfa 0xed 0xfe 0x 7 0x 0 0x 0 0x 1 0x 3 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 0x 6 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 ) which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/MacPorts.framework/MacPorts
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  ".objc_class_name_MPMacPorts", referenced from:
      pointer-to-literal-objc-class-name in MPActionLauncher.o
      pointer-to-literal-objc-class-name in MPActionsController.o
      pointer-to-literal-objc-class-name in PreferencesController.o
  ".objc_class_name_MPRegistry", referenced from:
      pointer-to-literal-objc-class-name in MPActionLauncher.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386

BTW I changed the Xcode project to "My Mac 32-bit", as a stab in the dark.  I have
MacPorts_Framework @1.2.1_1 (active) installed, ie. no +universal variant.

What am I doing wrong?  Should I perhaps build Pallet and Macports_Framework
source code together in a combined Xcode project, i.e.. as an Xcode "Workspace"?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Ian W.