A growl about Growl (and NSAlert?)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:26:23 PST 2013

I have been trying to get Pallet (MacPorts GUI) working in my environment:
OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) and Xcode 4.6, but it is badly broken.  One large problem
is that there is no feedback re whether a request has succeeded or failed or
what went wrong if it failed.

I think this is because Growl @1.1.6 is not installed (although it is not listed
as a dependency of Pallet).  The Pallet code is certainly referencing its Growl
interface and providing text strings, whenever a MacPorts action finishes.
But nothing happens.

I tried to install Growl @1.1.6, but the installation failed.  See attached log.

Browsing around the Growl website, it appears Growl has moved on quite
a lot since v1.1.6 and is now v2.0.1, for Lion and Mountain Lion, for $4.99
in the App Store.  It has been chargeable since Growl 1.3.  See:

    http://growl.info/downloads --- and the apalogia on:
    http://growl.posterous.com/growl-13-a-summary-of-the-major-changes

It is claimed to be Open Source, but it is not free (as in beer).

I tried to find out if any other MacPorts ports use Growl, but could not.
The "port dependents" command only applies only to installed ports.

The question is whether I should persist with Growl?  Maybe whether MacPorts
should persist with Growl or just discontinue its very old version?

Should I switch to Cocoa's NSAlert, which apparently is OS X's version
of a popup message box?  Growl has some additional nice features, like
being able to look back over history.  NSAlert seems rather basic, but I
can certainly use it to continue testing and finding out how much Pallet
actually does for the end-user.

Cheers, Ian W.