A growl about Growl (and NSAlert?)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:49:57 PST 2013

On 09/02/2013, at 7:08 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2013, at 04:55 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
>> I'd suggest we'll leave Growl in the state it currently is, because it
>> is a waste of time to put effort into it. Let's just hope it dies out
>> quickly and is replaced by Notification Center.
>>
>> Personally I'm hoping Notification Center either dies out or becomes a non-toy; Growl shows the way there.  (Sadly, Apple probably thinks it's fine as is, iOS having demonstrated for years that they don't really grok the point of notifications --- which to my eyes is proof that Apple stopped being the pinnacle of UI development years ago.)  What we have now is "fine" if you think iToys have usable notification services; but notification is a large chunk of why I gave up on iToys.
>>
>> (And yes, I fully expect Apple to find ways to kill off Growl because how dare users want something that does what they need instead of being pointless and flashy?)
>
> Personally, I agree with the original sentiment. I've used growl for years and like it, but think the notification centre is an improvement. I still have growl installed, but just configure it to forward everything to NC...

Thanks for all the info and comments, guys.  I feel a need for something that
will tell you what happened in a Macports run when you were not looking,
especially if it is taking more than a few minutes ...

For now, I will disable (comment out) references to Growl in Pallet and
replace them (locally) with references to NSAlert and NSError methods.
I need to find out what is passed back by Macports_Framework when it
finishes a Macports action.

Cheers, Ian W.