How to allow lbdb access to MacOS Contacts?

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Feb 9 09:27:28 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 06:13:24PM +0100, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 11:48:21AM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> >     2013-02-09 11:44:54.610 ABQuery[55392:1203] Address book access is
> >     denied for executable at path: /opt/local/lib/lbdb/ABQuery

<SNIP>

> > Based on the functions in the stack trace and my experience with other
> > programs, this is almost certainly OS X restricting access to contacts
> > rather than a bug in lbdb itself.
>
> Try signing the lbdb binary. Signed binaries might be required for
> Address Book access.

Ok, I tried signing the ABQuery binary (which I think is the actual
executable that tries to read the address book; /opt/local/bin/lbdbq is
actually a shell script).  Specifically, I created a self-signed
certificate following the instructions at
<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Procedures/Procedures.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005929-CH4-SW2>
and then ran

    sudo codesign -s "My Code Signing Certificate" /opt/local/lib/lbdb/ABQuery

That command completed with no obvious error message, but when I run "lbdbq
Richard" I still get the error message above.

Another data point: I have a desktop and a laptop, both running lbdb 0.36
and MacOS 10.8.2.  lbdbq works fine on the desktop, but not on the laptop.
I may have gotten a dialog box at one point asking me if I wanted to allow
ABQuery access to my contact info and allowed it one machine and not the
other, but I don't remember for certain.  I've certainly seen that kind of
prompt for other applications.  Is there a way to go back and revisit that
decision after the fact?

Richard