question about frequency of updates

Christopher Stone listmeister at thestoneforge.com
Sat Feb 9 18:30:50 PST 2013

On Feb 09, 2013, at 14:24, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering what the gurus say is a reasonable update interval for macports?  I  seem to forget to do it and then have to get through the update process, which sometimes takes quite a while.

Hey Comer,

I try to update every week but often forget.

You can use the Calendar app to open a shell script or an Applescript on a schedule.

Save this Applescript as an application using the Applescript Editor.

Make certain these options are OFF.

Create a recurring event in Calendar to open the file on a schedule that works for you.

You have two opportunities to bail-out of the script.  When it initially runs it will ask if you want to continue, and you can cancel in the Terminal instead of typing your password when 'sudo' runs.

--
Best Regards,
Chris

on run
  try

    set goFlag to button returned of (display dialog "Do Port Selfupdate in Terminal?" giving up after 30)

    if goFlag = "OK" then
      tell application "Terminal"
        activate
        do script "sudo port -d selfupdate"
      end tell
    end if

  on error e number n
    if n ≠ -128 then
      set e to e & return & return & "Num: " & n
      tell me to set dDlg to display dialog e with title "ERROR!" buttons {"Cancel", "Copy", "OK"} default button "OK"
      if button returned of dDlg = "Copy" then set the clipboard to e
    end if
  end try
end run