UNIX commands font

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Feb 13 15:59:45 PST 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Eneko Gotzon Ares <enekogotzon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm start learning UNIX. Please, is there a canonical way, may be a font, for write UNIX commands among normal text?
>
> I tried my best to understand the above but failed miserably.

I interpreted it to be about interspersing Unix commands with prose, in emails and such.

> - Mac OS X defaults to the "bash" shell so if you are reading a Unix book some things may not work as expected
>
> [snip]
>
> Linux tutorials (which are plentiful) will work as well, but remember that Mac OS X is more BSD-like with some Linux accents like the bash shell.

I don't see how bash is a Linux-ism. Do modern BSDs tend to default to another shell? In any case, changing shells is trivial.

> On this list I would suspect that you won't get much help for learning how to use your Mac OS X as a Unix box, but rather more specifically on problems with MacPorts.

The members of this list will help in any way they can, although (as usual) it is appreciated if you do basic research before posting, using resources like Stack Overflow and Super User. It's not a MacPorts-only list.

vq