Does macport generate pkg-config .pc files?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Feb 16 09:21:07 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 06:13:50PM +0100, Roger wrote:
> Does macport generate pkg-config .pc files?

Not automatically. Usually the build systems of the software MacPorts
installs do, though.

> Where does all /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/*.pc files come from?

Usually each from their respective port. Use
  port provides /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/*.pc
to find out.

> Is it a special statement for this in Portfile to generate the .pc
> file?

No.

> I'm asking because I'm trying to install Sane from CPAN, but it cannot
> find the macport sane-backends because of pkg-config.

It doesn't seem sane-backends installs a pkg-config file:
  :) $> port contents sane-backends | grep 'pc$'
  :( $>

It however seems to install a sane-config tool that does the same:
  :) $> port contents sane-backends | grep config
    /opt/local/bin/sane-config
	/opt/local/share/doc/sane-backends/umax/sane-umax-config-doc.html
	/opt/local/share/man/man1/sane-config.1.gz
  :) $> /opt/local/bin/sane-config --cflags
  -I/opt/local/include
  :) $>

Are you sure sane from CPAN uses pkg-config to find sane-backends?

--
Clemens Lang