KBuildSycoca4 running very frequently

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 23:08:59 PST 2013

On 17/02/2013, at 5:28 PM, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
> It should indeed not run that much. KDE has its own system to run it periodically, which appears to not work on Mac. So I added an agent that the user can load in order to run it periodically. If you did not load the agent, I see no reason why it should run on its own.

Maybe I did load the agent or maybe it got loaded automatically last time
I upgraded KDE, which was a week or two ago.  I saw something about it
in the Macports note output at the time and I thought it was a great idea.
I have been an advocate of running KBuildSycoca4, but not this often … :-)

> However, even if the agent is active, it is not based on time periodicity. It watches the paths ${prefix}/bin and ${applications_dir}/KDE4 for changes, in order to run it only when potential new binaries were installed that need to be indexed. But these paths should not change that much often in normal use, I think.

I agree.  I upgrade KDE libs and apps every few months.

> If this is due to the agent, one workaround may be to increase its throttle to prevent it to run too often (it is set at 60 seconds now).

Maybe KBuildSycoca4 thinks it has "unfinished business" due to not finding
things on a previous run (see log messages in my previous post).

So, how do I throttle it back?  Sometimes it runs after 60 secs and sometimes
longer.  The average interval is about 3 or 4 mins.

Cheers, Ian W.