Grace: Can't open display

Marcelo Chiapparini marcelo.chiapparini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:47:01 PST 2013

Hi Brandon,

regarding the action of launchd at boot time, here is the content of my etc
directory:

Nostromo3:etc Marcelo$ ls
afpovertcp.cfg ftpusers nanorc protocols
aliases gettytab networks racoon
aliases.db group newsyslog.conf raddb
apache2 group~previous newsyslog.d rc.common
asl.conf hostconfig nfs.conf rc.imaging
authorization hosts notify.conf rc.netboot
auto_home hosts.equiv ntp-restrict.conf resolv.conf
auto_master ip6addrctl.conf ntp.conf rmtab
auto_master~orig irbrc ntp_opendirectory.conf rpc
autofs.conf kcpassword openldap rtadvd.conf
bashrc kern_loader.conf pam.d security
bind.keys krb5.keytab passwd services
com.apple.screensharing.agent.launchd localtime passwd~orig shells
csh.cshrc locate.rc paths snmp
csh.login mach_init.d paths.d ssh_config
csh.logout mach_init_per_login_session.d periodic sshd_config
cups mach_init_per_user.d pf.anchors sshd_config~orig
defaults mail.rc pf.conf sudoers
dnsextd.conf man.conf pf.os syslog.conf
efax.rc manpaths php-fpm.conf.default ttys
emond.d manpaths.d php.ini.default xtab
find.codes master.passwd php.ini.default-5.2-previous zshenv
fstab.hd master.passwd~orig postfix
ftpd.conf moduli ppp
ftpd.conf.default named.conf profile

As can be seen, no launchd.conf file does exist. The content of bashrc is:

Nostromo3:etc Marcelo$ more bashrc
# System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
   return
fi

PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '
# Make bash check its window size after a process completes
shopt -s checkwinsize
# Tell the terminal about the working directory at each prompt.
if [ "$TERM_PROGRAM" == "Apple_Terminal" ] && [ -z "$INSIDE_EMACS" ]; then
    update_terminal_cwd() {
        # Identify the directory using a "file:" scheme URL,
        # including the host name to disambiguate local vs.
        # remote connections. Percent-escape spaces.
        local SEARCH=' '
        local REPLACE='%20'
        local PWD_URL="file://$HOSTNAME${PWD//$SEARCH/$REPLACE}"
        printf '\e]7;%s\a' "$PWD_URL"
    }
    PROMPT_COMMAND="update_terminal_cwd; $PROMPT_COMMAND"
fi

and there isn't any reference to DISPLAY.

I am running Mountain Lion. I think that Apple doesn't configure its
computers to run any X11 application straight from Macports, because the
necessary configuration files are absent. When my wife tried to run MathLab
in her MacAir, which needs X11, it failed to run. Installing Xquartz fixed
the problem. So, I think that the Xquartz installation fixed the issue with
the necessary configuration files... is was a configuration issue, not a
server one... What do you think?

Regards, Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini