Broken perl configuration

Bruce R Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Thu Feb 21 15:19:55 PST 2013

On 02/21/2013 11:37 AM, Bruce Miller wrote:
> How about you configure Perl so that Portfiles will
> deal with all the versioning magic and hide things where
> you want.  But a plain old Makefile.PL will just do the
> Right Thing.
> Would that be workable?

In view of all the comments, maybe I should re-pose
the question:

When the perl Makefile.PL; make; make install sequence
is invoked within a Portfile, use a perl with appropriate
flags/switches such that it will use the use the versioned directories.
Then Portfiles will work as you want them to.

But a "plain perl" used from commands like
   perl Makefile.PL
will use the more common installation directories,
like macports used to do, and every other OS does.

bruce