Wireshark 1.8.5 oddity

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Fri Feb 22 13:18:27 PST 2013

On Feb 22, 2013, at 09:15 , Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2013, at 03:37, Kok-Yong Tan <ktan at realityartisans.com> wrote:
> > Question is:  Is this a bug or have I done something incorrectly?
>
> It sounds like a bug to me.
>
> > Is wireshark using "python" or "python2.7"?
>
> I don't know. If it's using "python" that would be a bug. You could try using "sudo port select python python27" to temporarily set /opt/local/bin/python to point to python2.7. If wireshark then works, that's a good indication that it was using "python".
>
> The library list shows it loading /System/Library/Frameworks/Python/..., so it seems to be using the system Python, which would indeed be a bug.

Thanks for the confirm, guys.  As an aside, I also tried what Ryan suggested (just to see if it is an external call depending on an environment variable), which resulted in this (instead of /usr/bin/python):

orpheus-eth:MacOS kytan$ sudo port -v select python python27
Selecting 'python27' for 'python' succeeded. 'python27' is now active.
orpheus-eth:MacOS kytan$ which python
/opt/local/bin/python
orpheus-eth:MacOS kytan$ python -V
Python 2.7.3

but it still crashes and the crash report indicates that it *STILL* references /System/Library/Frameworks/Python/... so I'm assuming it must be something buried inside the wireshark port rather than a dependency on an environment variable after all.

So, should I file a bug or have one of you already done so?
--
Please note that this email has been sent from the field with its attendant vagaries of network accessibility. As such, do not expect a prompt response. However, I will endeavor to reply within 24 hours.
Network Wrangling and Delousing