smartmontools 48-bit ATA commands not supported

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 14:49:54 PST 2013

On 2013-02-22 21:56, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I have additional problems with smartmontools on OS X that I don't have on Linux with the same hardware.
>
> On OS X "smartctl -x" returns the following:
>
> ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: 48-bit ATA commands not supported
> Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed

I am seeing the same issue with my SSD. Probably the Mac OS X
kernel/IOKit does not support this type of ATA commands while Linux does.

Please take this issue upstream with the smartmontools developers.
Either there has to be some other supported command set to get the same
information from the drive or it's not possible with the current kernel
and a bug needs to be filed with Apple (probably against IOKit).

Rainer