any good audio/video editing apps in macports?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:29:11 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:

> > always been flaky (and useless even when it runs, as you need to install
> > all the KDE dependencies with debug symbols for it to be able to do
> > anything at all useful).
>
> I didn't install it---if it's there, macports installed it with
> something.  So I'm assuming (yeah, I know) that it's installed the
> way it needs to be.

Nope.

This is somewhat confusing:  drconqi is installed as part of the KDE
runtime, and various things will fail if it's not there --- but by default
MacPorts builds KDE without debug information because C++ debug information
is very large (often larger than the actual program due to template
expansion), so the produced drconqi is not very useful.  You can blame the
upstream KDE devs for requiring that a worse-than-useless drconqi be
present for KDE applications to work at all.

Someone else mentioned kbuildsycoca4.  This also is part of the KDE base
runtime: in theory, it is automatically run when needed; but in practice
it's a little flaky even on Linux and highly unreliable elsewhere (OS X,
FreeBSD, etc.)  And various KDE applications will crash or misbehave if it
has not been run.  ("sycoca" = System Configuration Cache, meaning it's how
various components of KDE find each other.)  Many KDE crashes can be
resolved by running kbuildsycoca4 manually.