Magically-disappearing tclsh8.5 (was: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:50:15 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 01:03:23PM -0800, Scott Webster wrote:
> That means that there is one available version of every port, and

> But maybe you are saying that you never upgraded, in which case I
> cannot understand how your ports would have gotten updated.

I did the selfupdate for macports, and then port upgrade outdated.  And I
have Tcl/Tk 8.5.x active.  It looks like none were removed---just
deactivated, which actually is not even remotely as bad as removing
them.  That is easily fixed by just activating the correct one.

Oh, and I was just kidding around (having fun) with the automatic
upgrades for all of my Tcl/Tk stuff.  :-)   However, I really was
serioius about the fact that ports that are in use should not be
removed.  But since they apparently are not removed, just deactivated
(and thus can simply be re-activated), that's no big deal.  And also,
as you say, it's no big deal to just install them  from ~/src...as I
do some other stuff when I either don't find them in macports, or the
versions in macports are not the versions I'm looking for (e.g., when
I installed macports' version of mutt, at the time, it didn't support
the SMTP (etc) stuff that the current version at the time had already
added).

As for tclsh and wish being Tcl/Tk, that was not kidding around.
They are.  The add-ons (extensions, libraries, etc.) are all just
that---extensions, libraries, etc.

And now my left hand/wrist's RSI is really screaming at me....

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running Mac OS X Lion >

                "sigh, once upon a time T-1 was fast...."
                           --seen in alt.sysadmin.net-abuse.email