binary pakages for darwin9

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 24 13:51:58 PST 2013

On Feb 23, 2013, at 09:07, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:

> I am trying to install SoX using a binary package on my 10.5.8
> which is
>
> $ uname -a
> Darwin mac.stare.cz 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15
> 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
>

> Are binary packages for darwin9 being built?
> I haven't found this information in the Guide
> or in the FAQ.

We have no plans right now to offer pre-built binaries for Leopard or earlier. Our x86_64 Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion buildbots should cover the majority of MacPorts users now.

There's no reason I can think of why an Intel Mac user should not upgrade to at least Snow Leopard. It is a better faster OS than Leopard and will take up less space on disk.

PowerPC users have no choice but to stay on Leopard or earlier, so setting up a PowerPC Leopard buildbot would be more interesting to me. However it's more difficult to do that than our Intel buildbots, which are all virtualized now; for PowerPC builds we'd need to set up an actual PowerPC build machine. I might know of one we could use, but it would also need someone who understands MPAB and our current buildbot setup to set it up on the new machine.