Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Feb 25 11:13:39 PST 2013

On Feb 25 07:42:04, spooky130u at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 02:05:07PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> > On Feb 24 20:50:52, ctreleaven at cogeco.ca wrote:
>
> > > 3) Deliver the messages in another manner:  eg, cause them to open
> > > in TextEdit or a browser window.
> >
> > That needs the capability to "open a window".
> > No way.
>
> There may be something I'm missing here, but why "No way" ?

Because it wants to open new windows.

> I've already written a command-line pair of Tcl/Tk scripts
> that should work fine, and last night, e-mailed them to
> Craig (off-list) in a response to the post you're responding
> to.
>
> It works like this:
>
> First, there's a server app that opens a text widget in Tk, and listens
> on a port (by default, port 12345). When it receives a message, it
> displays it in the text window.  I wrote it with two fonts for the
> text:  {Courier 18 bold} (and a tag to make it red for stuff that needs
> to be stressed) and {Courier 16} for normal text.  An arg to the client
> determines which, and that is then sent to the server before the message
> itself.

Are you trolling or just high?
Running a server application that opens new windows
just to _display_a_few_lines_of_text_ ??

(Using various fonts, for sure.
But where's the piechart?
Where is the XML, I ask.)

> The client app can take the message text from either the second arg (the
> first is the text "mode" described above) OR from stdin.
>
> The idea is, you start the server at the very beginning, a text widget
> (with a scrollbar and, if the autoscroll extension is included, the
> scrollbar will only show up if needed).  Then, when you have a message
> (say, "this is a text message") with an important header ("important
> header") you could do something like this (after starting the server
> at the beginning):
>
> add_text.tcl boldred "important header"
> add_text.tcl normal "this is a text message"
>
> It would also be trivial to modify the server to put a blank line between
> text messages, but last night, I was trying to finish up between
> thunderstorms....

How's about you just display all the packages messages
after the port(1) job finishes, and the user, uh, I don't know,
reads them?

Whether you have ever heard about the Keep It Simple, Stupid
principle before or not, you are trying to fsck it in the ear.