mysqld vs. mysql-server

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:48:17 PST 2013

On 25 Feb 2013 08:07:54 -0700, Chris Janton <face at centosprime.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-25 , at 07:24 , Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After I install the port mysql55-server, I have among other things binaries
>>
>> /opt/local/lib/mysql55/bin/mysqld
>> /opt/local/share/mysql55/support-files/mysql.server
>>
>> What's the difference?
>
> mysql.server isn't a binary - it is a shell script.
>
> Looking into the contents it appears to be the start/stop/restart tool for Linux-like systems.
>
> The macports version of start/stop is done with launchd and daemondo - that's what the
>
>  port load/unload
>
> commands do.
>
> I don't think the mysql.server file is actually used in a typical Mac OS X environment.

I asked about mysql.server because that's what is described in Step 3 of "Install and configure MySQL" at http://muddledramblings.com/rumblings-from-the-secret-labs/lamp-server-from-scratch-with-macports/.
In fact, the procedure there is to create an alias for invoking that script.

Perhaps my confusion involves the difference between loading mysql for use within apache with php, on the one hand, and just starting mysql for more direct or non-browser access.

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912