Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:12:12 PST 2013

Back way before I expected to be able to return.  Strange.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 08:13:39PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Feb 25 07:42:04, spooky130u at gmail.com wrote:

> > > That needs the capability to "open a window".
> > > No way.
> >
> > There may be something I'm missing here, but why "No way" ?
>
> Because it wants to open new windows.

Yeah, you said that, and someone else asked about using it in a non-GUI
environment.  Ok, but it doesn't HAVE to be a GUI version.  Switching
it from using a text widget and scrollbars would mean changing a few
lines of code (e.g., instead of "$w.t insert end $message\n" d
just use "puts $message").  If the idea is to add it at the end, so it
doesn't scroll right past whatever the user's scrollback buffer is set
to, that's just a few more lines:

for each text sent:

   lappend mlist $message

and later, when it's all finished (or crashes):

   foreach line $mlist { puts $line }

Yeah, very difficult.  :-)

> > I've already written a command-line pair of Tcl/Tk scripts
> > that should work fine, and last night, e-mailed them to
> > Craig (off-list) in a response to the post you're responding
> > to.

> Are you trolling or just high?

I won't dignify that last bit with an answer.  As for trolling, while I
do love fishing:

   A) Wrong time of year for mackeral here (they're further south right now)

   B) With the severe t-storms we had all night and well into this
      morning, even the charter boat captains who were the most
      desperately in need of cash wouldn't even THINK about going through
      the East Pass to get out onto the Gulf....

   C) If I WAS out on the Gulf trolling last night, I wouldn't have been
      here typing away at my computer, now would I?

So no, I was not out trolling.  I was here.  And WTF does whether or not
I was out fishing last night or this morning have to do with anything
even remotely macports related, anyways?

> Running a server application that opens new windows
> just to _display_a_few_lines_of_text_ ??

First, I was told that it's often a lot more than a "few" lines of text.
But second, it seemed like the easiest way to do it.  You start up the
server with a one-line command, which then accepts the text to display
via a simple Tcl socket command from the client (puts $chan $message)
and displays it.  Wow...very difficult.  Yeah, very tough to code.  :-)

But there's another point here, and that is, with one app running to
display the text (whether in a text widget or just printing to a
terminal, perhaps using less as a pager, you'd have to keep some type
of interface to it open.  A simple second app that sends it the text
to display, and is its own one-line (or longer for longer text) command,
seems, to me, to be the easiest way to implement it:

   add_text.tcl normal "you need to do something now to make this work"

OR in a GUI, if you want larger, bold, red text to emphasize something,

   add_text.tcl boldred "you need to do something now to make this work"

I could add more than just a bold/red/larger option if needed, but that's
what's in there right now.

> (Using various fonts, for sure.

Yep.  It's currently set up for Courier, but that's easy to change (two
lines---one for normal and one for larger, bold, red text) set in the
server app.

> But where's the piechart?

What pie chart are you referring to?  Nobody told me that was a
requirement.

> Where is the XML, I ask.)

Same question for XML.  Nobody said anything about that to me.

> How's about you just display all the packages messages
> after the port(1) job finishes, and the user, uh, I don't know,
> reads them?

You mean something like others and I were discussing both on-list
and off-list earlier this morning, and also mentioned above?
Yeah, in a text-only version, that would be, in my opinion for
what it apparently is not worth crap here, would be the best
way to do that.

> Whether you have ever heard about the Keep It Simple, Stupid
> principle before or not, you are trying to fsck it in the ear.

You consider 75 lines of code for both the client and the server
(including all blank lines and comments---basically just
"wc -l *" output) NOT simple?  Wow.  That's pretty severe.

Not only that, but the idea was to also keep the IMPLEMENTATION
simple, too.  I think my idea would have done that quite well.

Ok, so it's a bad idea.  I did say, in my first mention of this, that if
nobody wanted to use it, "oh well."  It doesn't bother me a bit if nobody
liks this or any of my ideas...my rather insignificant ego doesn't give a
shit, and even then, I tell it to go fsck itself if it speaks up at all.
So I'll just scrap the idea and go back to what I was doing before.
Besides, I'd hate to have to make those [sarcasm mode on afterburners]
very complicated [sarcasm off] one or two line changes to adapt to the
non-GUI version instead of the GUI one.  Yeah, that might take a whole
minute or two of my time....

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running Mac OS X Lion >

           In light of DHS's recommendation to defend yourself
            against armed intruders with scissors, I'm giving
                 my deer rifle a new nickname: Scissors.